I'm a mathematician, and I make things

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

A whole family of baby toys

I've already said that I've been on a baby toy kick. I've been working on a family-wide gift for this family that I love but rarely see. They just had a new little one around the same time my new niece came along, so I've made some duplicate things. I've been working on these things for a few months now, so my proud level is much higher than your average project. 

The first thing I started (and almost the last thing I finished) was a crocheted baby blanket. 
I started with a gray Bernat baby yarn. I did a row of half double, and then a row where I did two doubles in one stitch, and then skipped a stitch. I alternated that throughout the blanket. The color change progression goes as follows:
12 rows 1st color
1 row 2nd color
3 rows 1st color
3 rows 2nd color
2 rows 1st color
5 rows 2nd color
1 row 1st color
12 rows 2nd color
Then bring in the third color and repeat that pattern. I brought the first color back after the third color.

The. I decided o try something new.  Sure, I had crocheted baby blankets before, but sewing something to the back? Noooo. Why not.

I got some gray minky fabric (I doubt I will ever spell that right), and I washed both the crochet fabric and backing together on delicate. I stretched the crochet out on a towel and let it dry. 

I went over to mom's to use her handy-dandy quilting table and clips and pins. I stretched the backing and clipped it to the table and placed the crochet over it. I pinned all around the edges very closely and a little throughout the middle. I took a needle and thread and hand-tied about every 2-3 inches in the middle. Then I used a walking foot and bound the edges by machine. I actually really like the way it turned out, the weight and sturdiness and everything. 

I'll be finishing a pink version for my niece before Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment