I'm a mathematician, and I make things

Friday, September 13, 2013

Crafting for a cause

A very good friend of mine and her husband are adopting a little girl from Bulgaria! It's so exciting to be part of their lives and the new life that is coming soon. They are raising funds for this adoption by making homemade, personalized items for the home--to help bring their little girl home. 
Check out From Bham with Love on Etsy or Facebook
And I am so blessed that I get to add whatever talents I have to this project.

So here's some things I've been doing:

I got a wood burner and made this sign. My friend added the little stud and flower details. We're looking for a way to make it less girly.
I found a pattern online, and I've started crocheting some doily rugs. This one is smaller than I wanted it to be, but it turned out really cute. I'm still perfecting it. I've made one that is a semi-circle in a bright blue that would be cute in a bathroom and a third (full circle) one that has a gray center, blue, then a gray scalloped edging that's larger.
Since school is back in session, I needed a new lanyard for my name badge and keys. So I made one. Then I started selling them. And, as usual, Alabama stuff seems to sell the best. But I also made some Florida State, LSU, and Auburn ones, one with breast cancer pink, and some just pretty colorful ones.
JoAnn Stores was having an awesome sale on Labor Day. They had their fat quarters and bundles on sale, so I found a few different bundles that I'm playing around with. I got two bundles that were baby flannel (super soft!) with a mixture of blues, greens, pinks, and purples. I put the blues and greens together into this baby boy quilt (which hasn't been quilted and bound yet), and I've started cutting the pink and purples into a similar quilt. The other bundles I bought will also become baby quilts, but I think I will try out a different idea.
I made a similar painting last Christmas for my grandmother's Christmas present (but I used "For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn"), and my two sisters-in-law requested one for Christmas this year. I've painted two more, all have different lyrics from "O Holy Night," which is probably the greatest carol/hymn/song ever written. Other than, you know, the stuff in the Bible.
These little wristlets are so cute and fun to make. I went a little crazy and made a bunch of them. But they are the perfect size for a phone, keys, some money...something to grab out of a larger bag (like a diaper bag or oversized purse). They are lined with the contrast color matching the rosette, and they all have detachable wrist straps.

I have an idea for an oversized bag, and I may use matching fabrics to create a two-piece package deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment