I'm a mathematician, and I make things

Monday, April 15, 2013

Great-grandmother's table

My mom gave me her grandmother's table and told me I could do whatever I wanted to it. It wasn't in the best condition: had a split down the middle, paint was chipped, and had paper glued to it. But it was a good size for a specific area in my kitchen.



I sanded and primed it, then filled the cracks with wood putty, and sanded and primed it all again.

 I decided to accent the black paint with a light lime green.

I should mention I'm a geometry teacher, so I found the center of the table top by marking its diagonals.

My kitchen, living room, and dining room are all connected and decorated largely in black and white with accents of green, purple, and yellow. So my idea was to paint the table black and do a mosaic in those colors. I'm pretty happy with the results:
Again, it's pretty obvious I like geometry from the mosaic...

No comments:

Post a Comment