I'm a mathematician, and I make things

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

One more for the family (4)

I had no idea what to make for a six-year-old.
So I made him something that hopefully he can use with his other toys (trains, cars, whatever). I also made one of these for my nephew's birthday. 
I picked out this fabric because he plays a lot of baseball.
It unzips on the sides and becomes a play mat. 
This is a pattern I bought online, and I really like the way it turned out.

The cubes are 4" by 4" squares, sewn together like a cross, leaving 1/4" on both sides of a seam so you can sew between them. Fold the cross up into a cube and keep sewing. Leave one side open to turn it, but be sure to back stitch on either side of it. I bought a giant piece of 2" foam and cut it into 4" squares. I stuffed and wiggle and fit 2 squares on top of each other into each cube, then hand stitched closed.

The little balls are just pentagons that I created on Word again with different sizes (be sure to lock the side ratio to size it) as a pattern. I cut 12 pieces the same size. I sewed 6 together like a flower (one in the middle, five around), and sewed the five sides together as well. I did that twice, and then sewed the two halves together. Leave one side open to turn and stuff (and stuff and stuff and stuff) until it's the right density. These are my brother's and nephew's new favorite indoor toy, now that it's getting cold outside. 
This is my nephew's box-mat before I finished it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment